Re: NO dialtone

On Tuesday, January 30, 2001 1:33 PM Andrew John wrote:

> I have been trying to get my linux box connected to the internet.
> i have tried
> 1. the Gnome dialup configurator
> 2. the KDE Kppp
> 3. dip
> The message i get is 'No Dialtone' where as my telephone line is working
> perfectly because I connect thru the same line, modem and machine using
> Windows 97 to the internet.

You need to add X1 to the modem init string to make it blind dial (ie dial
without waiting for the dialtone).
Whichever method you use, append X1 to the init string.

Just ask if you need further instructions.

Cheerio!

-- Vipul Mathur
  <vipul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  (O,O)    http://www.vipulonline.com/
    <vipul@xxxxxxxxxx>     (   )  The Geek shall inherit the Earth