Trouble with rc.sysinit

Hi there,
                I did a foolish thing. I edited the rc.sysinit script and
changed the value of the variable HOSTNAME where it was declared/defined in
it. Earlier value was
                                HOSTNAME=localhost
I changed it to        HOSTNAME=Redhat

Now the system does not reboot.
I have later replaced the file rc.sysinit to original version from
explore2fs. But still I am not able to boot in multiuser mode.

When I boot to singleuser mode I get the following two messages :
INIT : version 2.74  booting
INIT : cannot execute '/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit '
and then the bash#  prompt.
The filesystem is in readonly.

When I try to boot into multiusermode I get the following messages :
INIT : version 2.74  booting
INIT : cannot execute '/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit '
INIT : switching to runlevel : 3
INIT : /etc/rc.d/rc :  /var/run/runlevel.dir : Readonly filesystem

Then when various daemons and services start, touch gives a message
"Readonly filesystem" for various files /var/lock/subsys/xxxxxx

After similar messages  from apmd,interface lo,portmapper,systemlogger a
big wait about 10 mins. then suddenly again similar messages for other
daemons and services some [FAILED] messages too and then init says no more
processes in this runlevel.
Some messages similar to ones found in /etc/inittab.
Each gives a message filesystem readonly.

I have studied the /etc/rc.d/rc and /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit and I think the
problem is init cannot execute /etc/rc.sysinit  for some reason and
/etc/rc.d/rc starts executing which depends on some actions performed in
the rc.sysinit.

Also /var/run/runlevel.dir contains lines /etc/rc.d/rc0.d.
/etc/rc.d/rc contains a command set `/sbin/runlevel` which is used to
assign value to variables previous and runlevel. when i run this on prompt
it gives 3 0.

When I open these files in vi,then with /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit vi shows
[readonly] [dos format]
but with /etc/rc.d/rc vi shows [readonly]. Could this be the problem? Both
rc.sysinit and rc have permissions 755.
Will rescue mode help, I do not have RHL cd presently but I can arrange.

Can anyone help me out.
I have Redhat Linux 6.0

             Thanks

                                  Vikrant Dhawale