Intel 810 Gr. Card Revisited

It seems that there are a lot of new users on mailing list
and could not get there i810 graphics cards work for them
As I had already posted this mail and as a lot of mails on this subject
So here I go again

Here goes the problem and the solution in very technical aspect
analizing each and every part of the problem as well as
Soln.
So guys and gals lets Rock!!!!!!!!

Q: Unable to get video mode better than 640x480 or unable to run X

A: Making i810 chipset working in Linux any version any eidition but for

kernels of 2.2  series(only)right now intel doen't support 2.4 series or

others
Below I am giving a step by step procedure how to make it working

0. Run xf86config and configure everything except the video card. and
save the config file
    then doo anything below

1. Download Drivers from Intels' site (two in no.)
     [one is source of speacial  agpgart.c -->filename will be somethin
like I810Gtt....]
     [second is the X server for intel chipset(basically modified SVGA
one)

--->XFCom-i810.......]
    Download Rpms for rpm based  system and tars for others(such as
Debian)

2. Compile the I810Gtt... if rpm as rpm --rebuild filename
                                            else  make agpgart.o
    For RPM it will place the final compiled version in
/usr/src/redhat/RPMS
  get there and install it with rpm -ivh --force filename.rpm

 For non-rpm based in the same directory do-->make install

3. do depmod

4. modprobe agpgart

5. FOR the Second phase install the rpm by usin' rpm -ivh filename.rpm
    and for tarball owners extract it using tar -xvzf and run the script

INSTALL
as ./INSTALL from the dir. you the tarball

what that does is
                        makes a device called agpgart in device
directory as /dev/agpgart
                        places XFCom_i810 in /usr/X11R6/bin

6.Get in /etc/X11 dir. and make a symbolic link to XFCom_i810 as
     ln -sf /usr/X11R6/bin/XFCom_i810 X

7.Last step is to edit your XF86Config file and make the following
changes

      Remove the Complete Device and Screen Sections or comment them
      make sure you have taken bakups(to avoid any hikups later if
anything goes wrong)

Make same u'reself as follows ::::

# **********************************************************************

# Graphics device section
# **********************************************************************

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "i810"
EndSection

# **********************************************************************

# Screen sections
# **********************************************************************

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "svga"
    Device      "i810"
    Monitor     "My Monitor"
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "1280x1024"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection
--

In my Computer it looks like above and works fine.
=====================================

2. In place of the Monitor "My Monitor" write the name of your monitor
what
    you gave while configuring your monitor.

WARNING : Kernels above 2.2.16 support i810 BUT when used with them
                      the X display turns crap when you switch
consoles(as it happened with me
                      as 2.4.xx is not supported by the agpgart and
doesn't gets compiled in 2.4.xx env.)

--

Regards
Jaswinder Singh Kohli