Re: A customized mail server...

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Bhummanjot S. Talwar wrote:
> I was wondering if there exists any mail server, which could be customized
> to perform specific actions as per the script in the email sent (or even
> running a java program/applet/servlet), apart from being a normal mail
> server. I want that if I send a mail to (eg. abc@xxxxxxxxxx) a special
> account, it should read the contents of the mail as a script file and
> perform various actions. Any mail server that can do this ????

If I understand you right, almost every mailserver can help you do it ...

e.g. in qmail, in the home directory of the user you can place a file
called .qmail-default containing the string "| /home/account/myscript"
Every mail to this account will be "piped" to this script and you can do
almost anything with it- parse it, i. Similar facilties exist for
Sendmail.

If you want to do it for every mail , you can consider making the
script-interpreter a local-mail agent( like what Amavis does).

Hope that helps,
 Sandip

--
Sandip Bhattacharya    |