proxy me

URGENT!!!
hey guys ...
how can i get all the pleasures of pop3, licq, gnapster etc..etc.. thru a
proxy server...
if u say "sock it" please tell me how and pass on the dante config file nice
and easy..
 i tried dante (i cudnt configure at all) and that stupid NEC-SOCKS thing
just doesnt work. no request is being sent thru the socks server(outside) it
just says request denied for a rftp thru the proxy. the comp w/t the net
conn is running win(my laptop that has a winmodem that just wont work in
linux) and winproxy.
neil
ps:till u tell me im stuck with this irritating wintop that keeps crashing..