Re: banglinux & IT.COM is not needed for India

Sudhakar Chandra posts:

> No.  I mean to say that when basic neccesities are still
> beyond the reach of these mofussil students, it is stupid
> to tell them what Linux is and how RMS is god.

Exactly.  There is no point in teaching non-mofussil students
about GNU/Linux when they do not even have money to enter
venues like Bang!inux/IT.Com

Re: telling them about how RMS is god would be done later and
we shall consider that after teaching them how to earn their
square meal before other students who have *CPU power* beat them
to the jobs.

> These folks don't need politics.  They have enough of it in the
> myriad political groups that exist.  They need food, clothing
> and shelter not CPU power.

UR out of touch with reality in saying that we do not need politics
here.  We badly need that in our life, but I agree with U if U mean
that we do not need political tamashas of the kind enacted in
states where things come straight out of the 'filmi' screens.  States
having former film-stars enacting a real (or is it reel??) life
drama !! :-))

UR adding weight to MKS's statement when U say that these students do
not need *CPU power*.  They badly need that *now* or else UR mofussil
students are going to beat them in the great job bazaar. We cannot wait
on that but have to do that as a Group, as MKS suggests.

> But this is the real basic education we are talking about. Computers
> are beyond the reach of almost all Indians.

I was also talking about that, in Kerala.  Why should computers be beyond
the reach of almost all Indians when we have something called as
'government intervention' ?  The GoP elected via UR political process
would do that if the issue is raised.  By whom ??  By organizations like
ILUG if they intend to do that.  Or is it that they want to participate in
other great expos like Bang!inux/IT.Com, neglecting more pressing issues at
hand.  Can U tell me the net gain of these melas as far as the ILUG is
concerned ?

> This will remain so for a while.

Says who ?  With great regard to your time, help and donations to the
GNU/Linux User Group effort, I want (not beg) to differ.

This should not remain so but addressed real fast alongwith the other issues
like boiling water, family planning etc.

> Not how GNOME can be customized.  Something like 'Arivoli Iyaakam' is what
> is needed.

Did I say customization of GNOME ?  Or was it customization of a mofussil
Indian for the commercial American software market/body-shoppers ?? Or was
I saying something about selling kidneys ?

Arivoli Iyaakam == Saaksharatha.  I can comment on that if you want to know
more about what we have done here in Kerala 'coz I had contributed to that
effort and am still.  Wanna tread unknown territory ?

> Why exactly?  Why should someone who can't even have access to a computer
> be educated on RMS's or MS's religion?

To demand what they want when they will be provided with one by
the GoP.  They have to be educated on what they really need, not
to cry after the milk has been spilt.  Later on, after  the milk
has been spilt they would tend to be split by UR so called
*politics/political game-manship* so their demands would counter
themselves and come to a naught.  HeHeHe !!!

> Can what you call GNU/Linux be a substitute for three square
> meals a day?

Nothing can substitute for three square meals.  GNU/Linux can be
a tool to aid them get these 3 square meals which would otherwise
be cheated out from them by UR *smart-ass* mofussil-ites.

> Are you saying that poverty in India is a molehill?  Look at the
> shirtless beggar on the street.  Look at the thin rickshaw puller.
> Look at the woman hauling bricks in a construction site.  Are
> they not poor?

Sorry if I meant that.

I have looked at the beggar in our streets.  I do not find any 'coz
begging is banned in Kerala.  Do U know that begging is big
business in other states ?  If a woman is hauling bricks in a
construction site it is because she cannot be employed by a
Doubleplusgood Mega Corporation because she was not educated about
computers or for that matter anything ;-).  In Kerala, the pay for
hauling bricks is better than that of a school-teacher.

Do not have false sympathies for the poor of India.  Come down here
and teach them how to fish/compute instead of telling to the list
about their poverty.  Like how U gave us the gift of Debian GNU/Linux
and made us better computer users. I have no words to thank a person
called Thaths for this single gesture.

> The solution is to educate people.  The computer or the slate
> and chalk are merely tools to aid in this education and not
> an end to themselves.

Educating how ?  OK, U admit that the computer is a tool like the
slate.  These aids are an end to themselves 'coz they constitute
what U term as education.  Is it not ?

> And I request you to stop jerking your knees this much.

I cannot stop this jerking 'coz I am afflicted with 'myasthenia gravis'.
I humbly request you to stop UR knee-jerking false sympathies.  If it
does not stop still, I request U to make a contribution of $ 5000.00
for on-going educational program for high school students here in
Kerala, which makes a selected group as computer-saavy as UR mofussil
student.

> Please do not assume my intentions without proper supporting proof.

I request you to pardon a fellow lister.  I never had any doubt of your
intentions which have always been good.  I have had no assumptions on
your intentions.  U had always helped us in whatever little ways U could.
But I always find U supporting wrong persons and wrong issues !!

--
Raghavendra Bhat LL 0484-424755
Progeny Systems & Services,