Re: 64 MB instead of 256 MB

On Sun, 12 Nov 2000 at 11:28, kamesh jayachandran <kameshj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> chittered like a monkey:

-> with big problem of not able to boot my linux box.

	Use a rescue disk.

-> The problem is I have not given any swap space while linux installation,now

	IMHO, a bad idea.

-> Is swap necessary?

	I know that you _can_ let linux boxes run without swap, but it is not generally advisable. A more technical paper was on salon and ARSDigita IIRC. Do a search on google.

-> I had bootable floppy but while booting with that it prompts "error 0x02".

	The disk is probably corrupt. Use a new floppy disk.

-> any other options,ideas.

	man 5 fstab
	man 8 swapon
	Run [c]fdisk and check if your linux partition (root) is being booted. Check your lilo.conf. Create a Swap partition (szie=2.5xRAM size) and use swapon to "tell" your OS to start using it. Use FIPS if you want to re-size your partition. Or Rannish PM. AFAIK Partition Magic's Voodoo has proved one too many times to be a tad too powerful for EXT2 Paretitions ;-)

	What distribution is this, BTW?

	-r

PS: Please do not cc me.

--
Ravikant K.Rao | finger ravi@xxxxxxxxxxx for more details.
  8:29am  up 3 days, 16:00,  3 users,  load average: 0.21, 0.08, 0.06