Message from Atul (Re: [achitnis@exocore.com: [linux@it.com] State of the Onion])

From: Atul Chitnis <achitnis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Prabhu Ramachandran <prabhu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [achitnis@xxxxxxxxxxx: [linux@xxxxxx] State of the Onion]
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 01:52:19 +0530 (IST)

Prabhu:

Neither you not Ravi presented a picture that I was comfortable with. If
you think *my* post on the ITCOM list was "offensive", try looking at your
own. If you were defending me, I saw no sign of it. All I saw was
politicking and abuse (much of it flung at me).

If ILUGC did not want to be part of the family picture we are trying to
present at IT.COM, you just needed to say so, or even better - say
nothing.

I have not made any unnecessary allegations - you and Ravi did. Since both
of you have taken the trouble of slandering me in public so far, please do
release my earlier reply to your list so that your members can see that I
did not take those allegations lightly.

For the record - there are currently 42 volunteers for IT.COM. By the time
the event rolls around, it will be more than a hundred, involved in
various things - not just the actual stall and talks.

We have people coming from Calcutta, Delhi, Cochin, Goa, Nagpur, Indore
and other places. While you and Ravi tried to position this as a BLUG
event that means nothing to you, a lot of people think otherwise. This is
an Indian Linux Community event, and has been so from day 1.

Proof of the pudding? Several of people registered on the ITCOM list FROM
CHENNAI over the past few hours. Obviously, there *is* interest from
Chennai, even if you say there isn't. I am really sorry that it took such
ugly posts to draw their attention to the event.

It is just coincidental that IT.COM is in Bangalore, and I would have
fought as hard had it been in Chennai, Cochin, Bombay or Delhi. I have, in
fact, done so in the past. That's how you got your stall at the PCQ
expo. Just because I didn't come begging for recognition and gratitude
does not mean that I didn't do it.

Instead of fighting me because I call a spade a spade (which is the only
thing you can hold against me), I would have appreciated a bit of support.

To make an omelette, you have to break eggs. My job is tough enough as it
is, and I am ready to give up. I can lead a horse to the water, but I
can't make it drink.

If you or any of your LUG members wish to participate in community events,
by all means do so. But leave your attitudes at home.

Please leave me alone from now on. Just because I happen to be a public
figure and try to make things happen for Linux in India does not give
anyone the right to take potshots at me or people involved with me.  I am
a very private person, and value that privacy.  I had decided not to reply
to your mail, but this thing rankled me so much that I got out of bed, and
wrote this reply.

Atul

p.s. As I was writing this, your second reply came in. It has not changed
my mind about this sordid mess. My penultimate para was aimed at Ravi,
just like all the other stuff I wrote after I started addressing him. And
I stand by it, for the lack of any evidence to the contrary. Ravi's posts
were very similar to Rag00's from Cochin - I wonder if there is a
connection.

p.p.s. Your third reply about the realisation of what I meant my
politicising just came in. Status Quo. Release my post, and maybe forward
this one too, if it helps clarify matters. You can knock off the p.s. if
you wish.