Re: IT.com and an upset prabhu

On Sat, 14 Oct 2000, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:

> MKS, it would be wonderful if you could go to IT.com.

sure.  I am planning to go.(I am currently doing Part-time MS also - so if
i have exam on those days i can't.  But sure worst case i can spend a
single day there).  Funding won't be a problem since i already requested
our Director (AU-KBC Centre) to take care of my travel expenditure.

My (limited) skills:

* can address the need for standardisation in coding Indian Lang. (ISCII,
TSCII, TAB/TAM etc.., stuff) & Need for standardisation of keyboards (like
tens of inputting method exists for tamil)

* Need for creating lexical resources for Indian Languages.

* explain how linguist, school teachers & others can particapte as a open
source voluntary movement to build huge lexical databases, dictionaries,
thesaurus etc.., for Indian Lang.

* Need for Linux tutors in Indian Lang. (not pure translation - wherever
needed we can transliterate the tech. names) [Hope the ilugc guys remember
the two sample exercises i sent in tamil - any comments to improve it ?]

* Need for participation of techies & language experts in International
Standardisation body like Unicode Consortium, i-DNS (Internationalised
Domain Name System) etc..,

(& ofcourse My favourite AkaramTeX editor)

I don't know the interest of the audience.  But in reality India badly
needs all the above stuff.  any suggestions are welcome.

-- mks --