Re: Suggest good mailing list server

hi,

    Sriram> ilugc runs on listserv. majordomo is very good but it is
<snip>

    Ravikant> 	    I am not sure if you meant Listar or Listserv -

	Ilugc runs on Listar and not on listserv.  s/listserv/listar/g
and reread Dr. Sriram's mail. :)

    Ravikant> But I shall further explain why I said whatever I
    Ravikant> said. Again, I do not know much about Listar itself. As
    Ravikant> for Listserv:

    Ravikant> 	   I do not like the way it handles $listname-request
    Ravikant> - It obeys some RFC wherein $listname-request@xxxxxxxxxx
    Ravikant> is actually a *person* and not the subscription program
    Ravikant> - Not sure how $listname-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxx will work
    Ravikant> - but with BUGTRAQ, that was what happened. I didn't
    Ravikant> *like* that feature, more so because I got *too* used to

	Well, I cant say I understand what you mean.  I dont really
know too much about mailing list managers, except for listar.

    Ravikant> Majordomo on virtually every mailing list server, and
    Ravikant> can type out MD commands in my sleep .. and listar
    Ravikant> behaved much like MD .. As for mailman - *everything*
    Ravikant> about it sucks - it emails passwords in clear text, once
    Ravikant> a month. The way it handles subscriptions and the
    Ravikant> commands that it allows are too weird and unlike-able [
    Ravikant> This is an opinion, a matter of preference - in
    Ravikant> functionality, too, however, I believe, it is fairly far
    Ravikant> behind ] - The commands that ezmlm allow are *so*

	I dont know how true your comments on mailman are.  Mailman is
also relatively easy to use, provides an easy web based access and
also provides good arciving features.  There were security issues with
it but I believe all major issues were fixed as of V2.0.  As regards
passwords, it really doesnt matter.  This is after all a login to
change your list preferences.  I dont know if anyone would be
interested in such information.  It is not like password to a machine.
The deal about unconventionality is a personal problem, IMHO,
something that MKS wouldnt really care about.

<snip>

	BTW debian 2.2. ships with listar (apart from other mailing
list managers).  What does Thaths mailing lists on?  Majordomo??