Re: Suggest good mailing list server

Hello,

    Sriram> On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Ravikant K.Rao wrote:
    >> Majordomo? Anything GPL seems to get busted - Mailman,ezmlm - I
    >> dont like ListServ

    Sriram> ilugc runs on listserv. majordomo is very good but it is
    Sriram> also "major"; listserv is quite functional and can be
    Sriram> thought of as a light version of majordomo. unless your
    Sriram> mailing lists are likely to have thousands of users,
    Sriram> listserv will likely to an adequate job.

	    I am not sure if you meant Listar or Listserv - But I
shall further explain why I said whatever I said. Again, I do not know
much about Listar itself. As for Listserv:

	   I do not like the way it handles $listname-request - It
obeys some RFC wherein $listname-request@xxxxxxxxxx is actually a
*person* and not the subscription program - Not sure how
$listname-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxx will work - but with BUGTRAQ, that was
what happened. I didn't *like* that feature, more so because I got
*too* used to Majordomo on virtually every mailing list server, and
can type out MD commands in my sleep .. and listar behaved much like
MD .. As for mailman - *everything* about it sucks - it emails
passwords in clear text, once a month. The way it handles
subscriptions and the commands that it allows are too weird and
unlike-able [ This is an opinion, a matter of preference - in
functionality, too, however, I believe, it is fairly far behind ] -
The commands that ezmlm allow are *so* unconventional that it takes a
*long* time to get used to, pretty much. Besides, there were/are a
couple exploits on mailman/ezmlm  - IIRC systalk@xxxxxxx runs that.As
for Listar/Majordomo - I don't really know about the security
implications.

	-ravi

--
Ravikant K.Rao | mowgli | ravi@xxxxxxxx | ravi@xxxxxxxxxxx