Re: Xfree86 4.01 - what to download?

hi,

    Ashok> I was thinking on the lines of: The xfree86/4 servers
    Ashok> /should/ be backward compatible, right? So i could probably
    Ashok> get away with downloading just my server? No?

	No way!  X 4.0 changed a lot of things in highly non trivial
ways.  For instance DRI - which is what gives you your acceleration in
the first place, is completely new and _totally_ _non_ backward
compatible.  X4.0 is a lot more than the server.  In fact, the server
dynamically loads most of its functionality.  A huge number of
features have been added.  This is why there is so much hoo haa about
X4.0.  It is a major technology breakthrough.  Hardware accel unded
unix is non trivial.

	Dont do anything that the docs dont say.  And the docs
certainly dont say just get the new server and add it to X3.3.6 libs
etc.  So if you want to experiment go ahead -- you are on your own. :)