Re: [Fwd: Registering Linux India]

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, Ramakrishnan M wrote:

> Sudhakar Chandra wrote:
> >   The time has come to formalize Linux India as some sort of organization

Use the word "club" instead of organisation and I am much more
comfortable.

Organisation => Organised => structured but limited. there are people
inside an organisation and those outside it.
Club => Association / collection of people with common interests. People
who are outside the club can be part of it just by sharing interest - in
this case linux.

I know these are all only English words but over time these have a way of
imposing their meanings on us.

I do accept that the scattered clubs around the country need to be
recognised as one entity first and then as individual clubs, but not that
it will serve too much purpose, unless we see that the objective of these
groups is to promote linux as against supporting it. I had this distinct
feeling that it was about supporting Linux users - not campaigning for
them e.g. Never had I seen linux-india.org before I started using
Linux. If there is a conflict of objectives of such sort amongst the
groups it may never work and it would probably divide the attention of the
"communicating individuals" who are core to comforting new users - who
become pros - who bring in new users - who need guidance...........and
Linux grows.

I dont know if I am answering or suggesting anything in particular here,
but this is Linux and Linux India as I see it.

IMHO
Ashwin