soundconfig

well,
for RedHat we have sndconfig. but can anyone pls explain the 'hard way'
to me.
the how-to's suggest pnpdump>/etc/isapnp.conf and then isapnp
/etc/isapnp. Mine is an onboard sound card and uses more than one irq &
dma set. It uses soundblaster setting and WSS setting in windows. The
wss got configured in my Redhat installation and is working fine, but
the same setting when i tried on my slackware and suse didnt work. so
what i did next is copy the isapnp.conf file from redhat to both
slackware and suse. the bootup says 'enabled ok' for the devices but
there's no sound from the speakers. did i skip any step?
i tried to install sndconfig from the srpms directory of the REdhat
installation CD. but i got dependency problems linking s/w i knew i had.
is this becuse of installing from the installation cd?
why does this problem arise when afterall all the packages are RPMs
can someone pls tell me how to carry out the jdbc part in Linux?