soundconfig

hi,

>>>>> "itkris" == root  <itkris@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

    itkris> well, for RedHat we have sndconfig. but can anyone pls
    itkris> explain the 'hard way' to me.  the how-to's suggest

	recompile kernel with sound support compiled in.  You can
either put the soudn stuff into the kernel or load it as a module
giving the appropriate arguments indicating the io ports, irq's and
dma channels.

    itkris> pnpdump>/etc/isapnp.conf and then isapnp /etc/isapnp. Mine
    itkris> is an onboard sound card and uses more than one irq & dma
    itkris> set. It uses soundblaster setting and WSS setting in
    itkris> windows. The wss got configured in my Redhat installation
    itkris> and is working fine, but the same setting when i tried on
    itkris> my slackware and suse didnt work. so what i did next is
    itkris> copy the isapnp.conf file from redhat to both slackware

	Do slack and suse ship with sound enabled in their kernels?
on your rh box look at /etc/modules.conf or /etc/conf.modules and find
the module responsible for the sound. get its irq, iobase etc.  do

# lsmod ; man lsmod; man modprobe

	The conf.modules may have a line that looks like

opl3sa2 io=0x370 mss_io=0x530 mpu_io=0x330 irq=9 dma=1 dma2=0
opl3 io=0x388

	It could be very different depending on your hardware.  here
the opl3sa2 is a module name and is responsible for sound on my
system.

$ locate opl3sa2
/lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/opl3sa2.o
$

see if there exists a similar module in slack or suse by doing a
"locate" for the module name.

load the sound module with the appropriate parameters. Or copy the
conf.modules line from rh to other distro.  If you dont have the
module you will have to recompile the kernel.  Dont know how slack
does things these days so I cant say anything definitively.

    itkris> and suse. the bootup says 'enabled ok' for the devices but
    itkris> there's no sound from the speakers. did i skip any step?
    itkris> i tried to install sndconfig from the srpms directory of
    itkris> the REdhat installation CD. but i got dependency problems

	srpms are source rpms and not binaries.  no point installing
them unless you want to build the package urself.  Use alien to
convert the binary rpm and use it.  YMMV.

    itkris> linking s/w i knew i had.  is this becuse of installing
    itkris> from the installation cd?  why does this problem arise
    itkris> when afterall all the packages are RPMs can someone pls
    itkris> tell me how to carry out the jdbc part in Linux?

	dependencies are complicated things. painful to explain them
here.  basically on slack your libs are not installed as rpms
therefore rpm doesnt know about the existing libs on the system  and
will crib like hell.  on suse i have no clue as to why there is an
error.  possibly there are conflicts and or lack of reqd libs.  In
which case you will have to install the reqd. libs using other rpms.
need more info to actually figure out your exact problem and the exact
conflicts.  The error messg will let you know though.

HTH,