Re:Re:Re: is there any way to expand the fs size

"shashank singh" <singh_@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>       On ext2, if you want to increase a partition size,
>>you have to copy all the files to a spare partition (tar and gzip if you
>>have a fast processor , I/O reduced(compression)  so faster ) , increase
>>the partition size with fdisk and then create a new filesystem on this
>>partition with mkfs.ext2 and then copy the files back.
>
>First of all thanks for the reply.Now i have a few questions going by what
>you say if i want to add some disk space (which in DOS would be a trivial

      In windows, it is not trivial. If your C: is full and you want to expand your c: how'll you do it ?
You'll have to rely on third party software like PowerQuest's partition magic or Ranish Partition Manager.
The windows filesystem FAT 16 and FAT 32 are simple  (their performance is equally bad ),so resizing is simple.

>thing)i have to create a new partition backup file and the copy them back to
>the new partition everytime i need to add disk space to my system.
>Even if i do all this then how will the new system recognise this as the /

      You can do it for / if you boot from a linux boot floppy.(Backup , change partition size, create filesystem,  restore the backed up files , and then run lilo.

      For your case, you can make the new partition as usr,
mkfs.ext2 /dev/disk2/partitionno
mkdir /t
mount /dev/disk2/partitionno /t
cp  -a /usr /t
init 1
rm -rf /usr/*
umount /t
mount /dev/disk2/partitionno /usr
rmdir /t
init 3

add an entry to /etc/fstab saying that this is to be mounted as /usr

/dev/disk2/partitionno    /usr     1   1

Now you can work, and you'll have lots of free space.
Normally when you install software , they get installed in /usr or /usr/local

>partition or whatever (/home)?? do i have to mount it as this everytime?? or

>that is an option in linux fdisk?
     fdisk is only a partitioning utility.
     If you want to mount a partition at boot up, add the appropriate entry in /etc/fstab

     There is an HOWTO already which describes how to add a new disk/partition.

It is simple

mkdir /mnt-point

mkfs.ext2 /dev/hdX/partitionno  (X to be substituted)

mount /dev/hdX/partitionno /mnt-point

--George Samuel