    shashank> whatever (/home)?? do i have to mount it as this
    shashank> everytime?? or that is an option in linux fdisk?  Also

	Please read the installation and getting started guide (IGS)
which is available at www.linuxdoc.org

	man mount
	cat /etc/fstab
	man fstab

	In spite of the fact that my gut tells me not to answer the
qn.  I will do so.

	Let us say your hard disk is partitioned as follows

c:	DOS	2GB	1GB free available space (dir command says so)
hda2	swap	(for linux)
hda3    /
hda4	/home

now you want to claim all of the free 1GB from dos and create an ext2
filesystem on it.

The problem is that c: is dos formatted.  You need to shrink the dos
partition.  This is non trivial since you need to have your dos
partition such that there is a contiguous 1gb of free space.  To do
this run defrag (making sure to move hidden files).  Once this is done
use fips or partition magic for the shrinking of the partition.

Next use cfdisk to create a linux partition on the newly created
partition.

man mkfs or man mke2fs. Format this partition.

mount the partition into an appropriate directory.

copy relelvant data or make necessary symbolic links.

edit /etc/fstab suitably.

You are all set.

	If none of this makes sense.  You should most definitely read
the IGS guide I mentioned earlier before touching your machine.