Re:Re: is there any way to expand the fs size

>       On ext2, if you want to increase a partition size,
>you have to copy all the files to a spare partition (tar and gzip if you
>have a fast processor , I/O reduced(compression)  so faster ) , increase
>the partition size with fdisk and then create a new filesystem on this
>partition with mkfs.ext2 and then copy the files back.

First of all thanks for the reply.Now i have a few questions going by what
you say if i want to add some disk space (which in DOS would be a trivial
thing)i have to create a new partition backup file and the copy them back to
the new partition everytime i need to add disk space to my system.
Even if i do all this then how will the new system recognise this as the /
partition or whatever (/home)?? do i have to mount it as this everytime?? or
that is an option in linux fdisk?
Also here is my problem in full detail and I hope there is a much better
solution because linux being as it is a server OS primarily should be easily
scalable right?

..I installed linux a few month ago in a 1 gb partition with only one mount
point / .Now the hd space is almost totally used up in the linux partition
.I have some space, another 2 gb in the Dos partition.I would like to add
this space to the linux partition.Do i have to reinstall or is there any
other way to do this.Also if i had more than one mount point  and i wanted
to add apace to one mount point only say /home how will i go about it?

regards
singh