Re: gnu and linux

"Dr. P. Sriram" wrote:

> to me, gnu/linux is just an attempt to get additional exposure for gnu by
> riding the linux bandwagon. gnu does not need it; gnu has been around

That is exactly what Mr Stallman is also meaning when he asks us to call it
GNU/Linux. Many people
tend to forget that linux in the present form exists only because of GNU. I
agree with you that
GNU and Linux complement each other. In fact Stallman also acknowledge it as he
distributed stickers
with the Bull(the logo of GNU) and a penguin on it(the latter is the smaller
one though in size, which in turn symbolizes the importance of each of them).
Why not give GNU it's due credit?

What Stallman is against is the fact that the aim of GNU project is "Freedom"
where as Linux Torvalds is telling the whole world about "World Domination"
which is not the aim of the GNU project.

I don't agree with the metric  of counting the number of lines of code against
each licences. It will be foolish to do so.

Again .. no flames intended.

--
  Ramakrishnan M

" Chase the dream, not the competition "