Debian Problems

hi,

    Ravikant> mixviews moonlight 76 packages upgraded, 67 newly
    Ravikant> installed, 9 to remove and 5 not upgraded.  Need to get
    Ravikant> 0B/74.8MB of archives. After unpacking 62.1MB will be
    Ravikant> used.  Do you want to continue? [Y/n] E: This

	Wow! what kind of net conenction do you have?

    Ravikant> installation run will require temporarily removing the
    Ravikant> essential package libpam0g due to a
    Ravikant> Conflicts/Pre-Depends loop. This is often bad, but if
    Ravikant> you really want to do it, activate the
    Ravikant> APT::Force-LoopBreak option.  E: Internal Error, Could
    Ravikant> not early remove libpam0g pronto:/home/ravi#

	The libpam is the lib that is used for user authentication,
pluggable authentication modules.  Since apt has downloaded the newer
libpam stuff I should think it is ok if you try forcing.  But please
backup stuff, blah, blah...  YMMV.  And I am no gaurantee.  Dont
scream at me if something bad happens.  But even if your machine is
unusable ur data should be fine, so in the worst case you could boot
of a floppy/CD and try to get the stuff out.  If you do it, before you
do so log into all your VT's.  Then try telnetting to ur box after you
do it.  If it doesnt work put in the debian 2.1 CD and force install
the libpam0g package, you should atleast be back to where you are
right now.  My ___guess___ is that nothing bad should happen.

    Ravikant>   1] I can't play my mp3's anymore.It complains
    Ravikant> something about my /dev/dsp - I checked if the speakers
    Ravikant> were okay, and Yes, I could play the same mp3's fine on
    Ravikant> Win98. (It's a laptop)

	Even as root?  Its not the speakers.  The error u mentioned
usually comes when someone else is using the device.  anyways is ur
sound card detected?  Is the user who played mpg123 in the group
audio??  tO see if ur card is detected
	cat /dev/sndstat

    Ravikant>   2] I would like to load AfterStep everytime I go into
    Ravikant> X - I edited my ~/.xinitrc to read "exec afterstep" but
    Ravikant> it didn't work. How would I load whichever wm that I

	ur-fav-editor ~/.Xclients
	put whatever u want there
	chmod ug+x ~/.Xclients
	ln -s ~/.Xclients ~/.xsession

A working .Xclients looks vaguely like (Id rather not confuse you with
fancy stuff...)

#!/bin/bash

fvwm2 &

    Ravikant>   4] Are there any Power Monitor utils under Linux
    Ravikant> (specifically, Debian) toward monitoring my Battery/AC
    Ravikant> Power status as in Windows? I'd like it to force a
    Ravikant> shutdown if the Battery Status dipped below 2% or some
    Ravikant> such - I remember it would make a "beep!" thingie if the
    Ravikant> power dipped below some level - what level, I do not
    Ravikant> know.

dpkg --print-avail apmd wmapm genpower

also compile kernel with apm support and read the laptop howtos.  I
dont know if you can auto shutdown if power is low but u sure can see
the power remaining with wmapm.