Re: Debian Problems

  Ravikant> sources.list would have messed up some stuff.Moreover, I'm
  Ravikant> encountering some problems, for which I have no clue as to
  Ravikant> what my course of action should be.I'd appreciate any help
  Ravikant> on what I should do next, or even pointers to the

        OK, here goes.

  Ravikant> pronto:/home/ravi# apt-get upgrade Reading Package

        Surely, you meant to do:

$ apt-get update
          ^^^^^^
                            ?

        Isn't that mandatory every time you try and get new packages ?

<...snip...>

        Could be talking through my hat, but not having updated your
packages file could be cause of these problems.

  Ravikant>   1] I can't play my mp3's anymore.It complains something

<...snip...>

  Ravikant> THIS SOFTWARE COMES WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY! USE AT
  Ravikant> YOUR OWN RISK!  Can't open /dev/dsp!
  Ravikant> pronto:/cdrom/Songs/Padayappa# ls -la /dev | grep dsp
  Ravikant> crwxrwxrwx 1 root audio 14, 3 Jan 3 00:46 dsp crw-rw---- 1
  Ravikant> root audio 14, 19 Jan 3 00:46 dsp1

        I've seen this problem before, it's a baffling one. On some
occasions, it was trivial matter of killing a runaway 'timidity' or
'mpg123' process started by some inconsiderate user ;-). At other
times, though there hasn't been any clue as to why this happened. I've
also seen related "Out of memory" messages, fairly absurd on a box
with 64Mb. memory and an equal amount of swap, with a system load that
rarely crosses unity. Do a 'ps auxw' anyway, and grep for suspicious
processes.

  Ravikant>   2] I would like to load AfterStep everytime I go into X
  Ravikant>   - I edited my
  Ravikant> ~/.xinitrc to read "exec afterstep" but it didn't

        Could we have the error message from your
$HOME/.xsession-errors file please ?

  Ravikant>   3] Another interesting phenomenon is that if I keep the
  Ravikant>   external PS/2
  Ravikant> mouse connected during boot-up, _only_ the external mouse
  Ravikant> works after boot-up, but if I were to connect the mouse
  Ravikant> _after_ boot-up, I can use both the touchpad and the
  Ravikant> external mouse ... It _is_ a touch friendlier if I had the
  Ravikant> services of both things,... How would I fix this problem?

        You /have/ fixed it, connect the mouse after boot-up ;-).

  Ravikant>   5] I would like suggestions/recommendations for a choice
  Ravikant>   of a front end
  Ravikant> for mpg123 toward adjusting Volume and a mock Graphic

        Well, if you must have a front-end for mpg123, GQmpeg is worth
a look. Else, thaths' suggestion (xmms) is the one to go with.

<...snip...>

  Ravikant>   7] Specifically to Binand -> Can you post your
  Ravikant>   muttconfig files -
  Ravikant> *EVERYTHING* - as in your .muttrc,your color config
  Ravikant> file,your PGP thingie...  and whatever else. Actually, if

        We've heard a fair bit about these files, could I have a
look-see too ? :)

                                                        -arun

--
And in the heartbreak years that lie ahead,
Be true to yourself and the Grateful Dead.