Re:news server - mailing list comparison

"Penguin@AnnaU" <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>dear chennai luggies
>     my idea of news and related things is primitive. i was using tin on a
>public access unix host ( ductape.net ), which incidentally runs linux.
>i managed to get to ( if that is the right word ) comp.os.linux.announce .
>     is there some newsgroup like our mailing list ? please tell me if
>there is.
>     is it possible to see the posts on the newsgroup from dial up
>internet acccounts ? i do know for a fact that vsnl has a host with name
>news.vsnl.net.in, but beats me if it's a news server. any idea, anybody ?
>     and i notice the fundamental thing with news - no mass mailing. much
>easier on the bandwidth and no spam to worry about. i know somebody has
>already thought about this, but it's one of my rare instances of brilliant
>thinking, so i'll ask the question - why don't we have an aero news server
>instead of running listar ? i think all the subscribers have news clients
>( tin in linux and netscape/outlook for win9x ). somebody please
>enlighten.
>    urls for more info on news and nntp would be appreciated.
>thanks and regards
>mani sridhar

          I have used leafnode (a light weight new server).It works well.I used the vsnl news server.The initial getting of newgroups from vsnl server takes a lot of time , more than an hour.After that you have to subscribe the newsgroups you like.When you connect to the net , leafnode will get the postings in the newsgroups  you have subscribed and you can read the news articles in your favorite news reader.

regards,
George Samuel