Re: books

Sriram proclaimed:
> the books r no longer available there.

Thank you.  The reason I was so vocal about this point was that any
mis-step by any one in the Linux / Free Software community would tend to be
bring a very bad name to the entire community.

> Well, I am not
> sure how many people here use Licensed Microsoft Products, in general
> software products or taking photocopy of books. If Chandrasekhar falls in
> that line who will NEVER violate the copyrights. Then I should say, he is an
> exception. Pubhishers and Software companies would love to have customers
> like him -:)

I *have* done my share of copyright violations in the past.  But I am happy
to say that I have not violated a single copyright law (being fully aware
of it etc. etc.) in the past 5 years.

> I don't know why I started it in the first place. I was only trying to share
> what I have. Anyway, I take all that blame.

That is the thing with conventional restrictive copyrights.  They don't
give you owenership of the software / intellectual property.  They give you
the right to use a copy of the software / intelectual property.  The
owenership remains with the publisher.  It was percisely this restriction
that motivated Richard Stallman (RMS) to start The Free Software
Foundation.

Imagine if RMS just violated some copyrights without thinking deeply about
it.  We would not have the GPL or Linux.

Thaths
--
"Now, what is a wedding? Well, Webster's Dictionary describes a wedding
       as, 'The process of removing weeds from one's garden.'"