Debian installation

Hi all:
	I was trying to install Deb 2.1 today and got stuck in the process
of creating LILO boot. It said it was not able to install it on the root
partition and the reason it gave was that it could be more than 1 Gig -
but it was only 830 M. I tried creating a boot floppy with a new formatted
TDK floppy with Write protect off - didn't budge! I gave up and installed
RH 6.1. Funda is that I have to do it on one of my DCF comps next week.
Comments please...

TIA
Prasanna
root@civil.