Re: linux laptop help

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, Sriram wrote:

> thats a lot of information ravi. thank you.

yw ;-)

> the problem is  sound and pcmcia devices. the problem i suspect is some
>irq clash. when my sound card initialises the pcmcia fails. when i even
> try playing sound the machine hangs and refuses to do anything.

once  again , look through the laptop URL i posted already (if you deleted
the mail , check the archives of this list at lists.linux-india.org ...)
and there's a section there that says 'problematic PCMCIA cards ' etc...
maybe in not as many words , but definitely meaning that... you could
check to see if your PCMCIA is in fact documented there ... and incase it
isnt ... look around at some form there which tells you to email the
maintainer of that site about your problems with some basic info ( like Dr
Chip asks you ) ... you have to attach the output of a bunch of commands
using cardmgr and cardctl at the command line and then the maintained dude
will email you with some help. and like i said , even though the
debian-laptop list _IS_ debian specific... people there are running 386
laptop's w/ 16 MB harddrive and some 4 MB RAM And No cd-rom , (install via
PPP or via the network , the CD-ROM being on some other machine) ... and
so on.... there are a lot of people on that list , quite knowledgeable
too.

> > the sites u had given r quite familiar to me. i have gathered lots of
> information from there. so u right in that aspect.

great ! :-)   ...   Good luck once again ...

- ravi.