Re: Spamming by/to list....

hi,

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Oommen Thomas wrote:

> 1. Regarding the complaint of the vamsi5@xxxxxxxxx user(?)

> Another way is to have an autoresponse mail sent to the person requesting
> for subscription and ask to reply to that, just to verify/confirm. Lot of
> mailing lists have this restriction to ensure that no impersonation is
> done.

	well, this stuff can be done with listar but since people are
!@#&* enough not to know how to unsubscribe from a list inspite of each
messg having instructions, I dont think making subscriptions harder is a
good idea.  Besides as Dr. Sriram had mentioned this particular user (who
has been unsub by me now) had been on for quite some time. Besides, no
list is perfect.

> 2. Spamming(?) by janust@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Why cant we have a restriction in listar that only subscribers can post?
> Majordomo allows this. We dont expect mails from all and sundry. Also, a

	Listar can do this too.  Initially Arun and me decided that it is
ok for non-subscribers to post to the list.  Unless there is a serious
need I dont think it necessary to make the access restricted.

	Perhaps, this policy can be discussed in the next meeting?

prabhu
(listar admin)