Re: Not on Mailing List - Require Help in loading StarOffice -

hi,

On Sun, 3 Oct 1999, Nandita Thomas wrote:

> I had logged in as root and mounted the cd rom. Then I logged in as an
> ordinary user as the Setup Guide specified, started X and tried to run
> setup from :
> /mnt/cdrom/office/linux/office51 directory.
> But I got a KFM warning "Couldnot execute the program"
> I checked the rights of the file and found
> -r--r--r--            1    root      root      86960      root
							^^^^^^^^^^^
	You seem to have checked the wrong file.
ls -l /mnt/cdrom/office/linux/office51/setup*
should tell you what it is.

>  that only root has rights ,   probably because root mounted the cdrom.
> Am I supposed to provide rights to the ordinary user to mount the cdrom ?
> If so how ?

	It is possible that you could not execute programs as a user from
the CDROM. Mount the cdrom as root as follows so that you can execute
programs from the CDROM.

# mount -o exec /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

Now, users should be able to execute programs (that are executable) from
the cdrom.

	The other thing is once you have finished a setup /net as the root
user please install the files in a commonly accessible directory such as
/usr/local/Office51  or whatever. Now each time the user runs soffice from
/usr/local/Office51/bin/ it will automatically start the installation
process.   The next time round the user will have to run his local version
of soffice typically it should be in ~/Office51/bin/soffice

hope this helps.