nOT ON LIST - From Reggie Thomas - StarOffice from the CDrom

Dear Mr. Asokan,

I could not install the StarOffice in Linux as given in the Setup Guide
setup.pdf given in the office\linux directories.
I  had logged in as root and mounted the cd rom. Then I logged in as an
> ordinary user as the Setup Guide specified, started X and tried to run
> setup from :
> /mnt/cdrom/office/linux/office51 directory.
> But I got a KFM warning "Couldnot execute the program"
> I checked the rights of the file and found
> -r--r--r--            1    root      root      86960      root
>  that only root has rights ,   probably because root mounted the cdrom.
> Am I supposed to provide rights to the ordinary user to mount the cdrom ?
> If so how ?

Is there something obvious I have overlooked ?

Finally with a lot of help from Mr. Sridhar I copied all the files in the
office51 directory under linux in the cdrom into a temp directory for the
user then ran the setup into /home/user1/Office51. But then the Java
Runtime Environment did not get installed. It must have been left back on
the CD !

I also wanted to dial out from the oridinary user and get onto the
Internet. The Pcquest March 1999 covers about setting up the Dialler in
Kppp (kde) by root under X. But how can I make the dialler work for an
ordinary user under that environment ?

Would appreciate if you can throw some light on this. Do you have a lug
meeting on 10-10-1999 ?

Regards

Reggie Thomas