Not on Mailing List - Require Help in loading StarOffice -

This is a copy of the message I had sent Mr. Mani Sridhar for help. Please
do help at the address above.

Dear Mr. Sridhar,

Further to our call this morning I installed StarOffice on the Windows
side. There was an error when installing the Star Scheduler.

More importantly ;
I could not run the StarOffice setup file in Linux for an ordinary user.

I had logged in as root and mounted the cd rom. Then I logged in as an
ordinary user as the Setup Guide specified, started X and tried to run
setup from :
/mnt/cdrom/office/linux/office51 directory.
But I got a KFM warning "Couldnot execute the program"
I checked the rights of the file and found
-r--r--r--            1    root      root      86960      root
 that only root has rights ,   probably because root mounted the cdrom.
Am I supposed to provide rights to the ordinary user to mount the cdrom ?
If so how ?

In the Setup Guide there was a mention of making sure to have appropriate
execute and write access to the subdirectory of the user's home directory
where StarOffice is to be installed. I didn't understand this as I hadnot
created any directory for installing StarOffice as the Guide didn't ask for
this. I expected that the Setup program would do this.

The Setup Guide also specified that it wants about 170 MB of disk space
(which I have in the Linux native partition) and approx 80MB of free space
in the swap volume (linux swap has only 70 MB ). Would there be a problem
if setup finally works ? Can I now increase the swap space partition now ?

I hope there will be some simple solutions to these basic problems.

Do reply to the address above.

Regards.

Reggie Thomas