Re: .tar.gz files...

: My suggestion to newbies.  Please for everyone's sake (well,
: atleast for my sake) read the "installation and getting started guide"
: before installing linux and save yourself and others several mails.

hehe , i guess my laziness index was getting too high ... the funda is , i
d/l-ed LOTS of .htmls and .zip's from metalab [ .tar.gz's also , just to
experiment ;) ] ; then had to reformat my HDD for win 2 K  ; dont have zip
drives to take backups in ... or critical apps whose backups i needed....so
I ended up losing that stuff...and the Video card that I have - a trident 4
MB AGP - I cant configure the thing to get X working ... I mean  , i can get
pathetic resolutions etc ..... monochrome too ... and though I searched for
drivers @ freshmeat and even www.trid.com and I still havent gotten it to
work .... so I go only to the command line interface while using Linux ...
and viewing .html help files are painful with the resolution that I have ,
under X. All this , coupled with the lack of textbooks [ paperback ]
resulted in my looking for a relatively simpler option , which was to get
someone to tell me to do a <command name>  .... and hence the mail.
Sorry if I annoyed anyone ; didnt mean to... *visits metalab for the 10^6'th
time ;-)* .... Maybe I'll just go visit Eswar tomorrow and buy up some
textbook(s) ;-)

  On that point , just wondering.... do we have any mirror's of that site
 metalab.unc.edu/LDP ] here in india ? I was under the impression
aero.iitm.ernet.in did in fact mirror a few sites ?

 - ravi.