.tar.gz files...

hi,

Ravi writes:
<snip>

 > do I do once I untar them ? I suppose I'll end up with loads of *.c , *.cc ,
 > *.h files , along with a readme and a few other things - I unzipped using
 > winzip and looked at the contents ... so how do i now actually *install* the
 > package ?

	My suggestion to newbies.  Please for everyone's sake (well,
atleast for my sake) read the "installation and getting started guide"
before installing linux and save yourself and others several mails.
These docs are part of the Linux Documentation Project and most linux
distros distribute these free (RH I think used to have it in the
install-guide*.rpm - should install somewhere in /usr/doc/LDP/).  If
you cant find it visit http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP and download it.
You get zip files there so if you have a windoze box you can read it
there before wiping it off with linux.  Also read the Linux User's
guide.  Once you have read those you will know what else to read.

Learn it yourself!  It's fun!!