.tar.gz files...

Hi there,
  I've got a RH 6.0 box ... and I downloaded the xisp*.tar.gz and
wvdial*.tar.gz files from some place on the net ... [ using freshmeat ] . I
know I should have downloaded rpm's and installed the packages using the
packet manager ... but I failed to do that and got tarred zipped files ...
and now how might I unzip or un tar them so that I can use them ? Also ,what
do I do once I untar them ? I suppose I'll end up with loads of *.c , *.cc ,
*.h files , along with a readme and a few other things - I unzipped using
winzip and looked at the contents ... so how do i now actually *install* the
package ?
  I cant find a man tar.gz or suchlike ... I'm sure its documented somewhere
, but I dont know where it is :-( .
  Thanks
- ravi.