Re: Sound Config

On Thu, Sep 23, 1999 at 11:50:28PM +0530, Prabhu Ramachandran said:

 => 	If I understand correctly, the current setup of your sound
 => card (as an SBPro) plays mp3's, midi's and the Linus Torvalds message
 => (/usr/share/sndconfig/sample.au) perfectly but doesnt play larger wave
 => files from Windoze properly - correct?
 =>
 => 	If that is so, with what are you playing the wav files?  Are
 => you using "play" (provided with the sox package)?  If so try
 => installing wavplay and use it.  I believe it will solve your problem.

	I'm not sure, but there is a format of .wav files (MS RIFF ADPCM
format, or something), which earlier versions of sox could not
handle. The version on this Debian 2.1 box (12.15-1) does seem to be
able to handle it, but the one that shipped with Debian 2.0 wouldn't
play the samples. Maybe you could try upgrading sox  ?

	Also, if it is a .au file, try cat'ting  it straight to
/dev/audio (provided you have the permission, of course). Should work.

						-arun

--
Excessive login or logout messages are a sure sign of senility.