Re: Login issues.

GAUTAM G wrote:

>         I now have one more problem. I had created a new login for my use,
> "g". I used gnome. For fun, i removed the user and added it again.
> When i run startx, enlightenment starts, bu nothing comes on screen, only
> that gray mesh background with an arrow. Funny part is, this problem only
> happens with this login name. I created users "a", "try", etc and gnome
> starts without problem and works fine. BTW, in /home/g(after recreation),
> the .gnome-desktop and .gnome-help-browser directories are not created.
> All these are there in /home/a, /home/try. Windowmaker installation was
> successful and runs fine in "g".

This means that the X server is not able to successfully run the window manager
(gnome in ur case). Make sure you have all the window manager configuration
files in ur 'g' home directory before you log into 'g'. These will typically be
in .gnome-desktop & other .gnome* dirs. U may login as another user & verify if
these files/dir. are present & have the appropriate permissions.

> Another small thing. Can anybody tell me what /etc/hosts should have. GNOEM
> complains everytime during startup.

/etc/hosts contains the hostname -> IP address mappings. this is used to resolve
the hostname. so u may need to put all the hostname->IP address entries here.
Alternatively u may configure DNS to resolve the hostnames.

-Sridhar