IRC server status

hi,

	My 2 paise.  First I apologize for a mail that I had sent to
the list that had no business being there. Sorry,  I was not paying
attention.

Ravi Rao writes:
 >   XIRC is still having certain problems...  they now have 3 bases ...
 > running Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5  [ I think ] and they have a Win NT
 > IRC server ... AND an IRC Plus [ www.ircplus.com ] server also .... so
 > they're wondering what to use ... and so on .. other practical problems with

	Secondly, this must be a commonly felt sentiment but I feel
that it would be much better if our irc server was to run linux rather
than c:\Windows*.* Dont you think so?  It certainly wouldnt be nice to
tell others that #linux is powered by Windows. :(

 >   List Admin of IlugC , Linux-India itself [ Thaths ? ] ... and I have no
 > idea who else [ Who ever Prabhu / Arun might want keeping Operator Status
 > . ] ... would have access to modifying room status and setting room modes

	Thirdly,  I have used IRC only once so far - and that too
almost 1.5-2.5 years ago on a windows machine.  Consequently I dont
know anything about IRC.  I also happen to be list admin of ilugc at
present. Personally Id be happy if someone else takes up
responsibility for the irc stuff.

 >   I *did* 'chat' with Vivian - the only other pro-IRC guy on ilugc ;)
 > earlier today .. and it was productive to say the least. ...
 >   The room will be up very shortly ... maybe before the weekend with
 > necessary room modes etc.. and I would like ilugc / LI list admin to give me
 > a default topic .. such as " Welcome to #Linux! " or whatver you might think
 > of ...

	What do you mean by a default topic?  Is it a welcome message?
If so I can mail you the default welcome message that
ilugc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx sends a new member of the list.

	Why call it #Linux why not #ILUG which has no reference to
Chennai and it refers directly to Indians. so...

	As regards pro/anti irc sentiments, I am neutral and as far as
I am concerned if you feel that the irc will definitely help linux
users then it is good.  But one must remember that if this #linux is
to be useful there must be knowledgeable people on the channel all or
most of the time and I dont know how many can be online all the time.