Re: IRC server status

: than c:\Windows*.* Dont you think so?  It certainly wouldnt be nice to
: tell others that #linux is powered by Windows. :(
:
I think so too ... but in that case .. you would need to setup your own IRC
server ... maybe chat.chennailug.org ... If we were to run it off Windows ,
we would have professional backing by CanadaEH , round the clock admin
people who are friendly , known to me... etc etc...
If you're going to run a linux based IRC server.... :
I have absolutely *NO* idea what kind of freeware linux IRC servers are
available , who might have any of them on CDs , how to administer them , etc
etc... On the other hand , I have actively followed MS Exchange [ sadly ]
and I am fairly comfortable with 5.5 Chat Server Admin work .... IRC + is a
breeze... a person with an IQ < 5 would be able to admin that server ...
wherefore it is useless ... in effect ... because of the lapse in
security...
  This in other words would be amounting to ask some linux guru to take over
admin work , etc of the IRC server itself ... while on Exchange ... I could
do it .. assisted by Vivian (?) ...
  So some guys have to figure out these 2 problems... a ) is
chat.chennailug.org or chat.linux-india.org possible ? b) if so , who will
admin it , and what are the policies etc ?

: Personally Id be happy if someone else takes up
: responsibility for the irc stuff.

Point taken.

: What do you mean by a default topic?  Is it a welcome message?

A default topic is what is displayed as the topic of the room ... or channel
.. suppose a guy who logs onto the network wants to know what kind of rooms
are available to chat in ... he types /list for instance...
results look like this :

-------
 <roomname>              <room topic>                 <number of members in
the room currently>

  #FoodTalk         Talk about Food here !                 34
  #Linux               Welcome to #Linux !                    46
--------
blah blah ...
  Basically its a one liner ... about 15 words max ... you might incorporate
a URL also .. like Welcome to #Linux ! Check out www.chennailug.org or
something like that....

: If so I can mail you the default welcome message that
: ilugc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx sends a new member of the list.

that would be nice ... and what you mean here is called a PROP status on IRC
... if you 'PROP' a room with ON JOIN and ON PART / ON QUIT Parameters... if
the guy were to join the room , he would get this message(s) from the IRC
server itself ... like , "CanadaEH welcomes you to #main .. Check out so and
so URL while you're here"... if they have a corporate
sponsor/advertiser...it will say ,.... brought to you by Sony Tristar !! and
Lux International beauty soaps...www.lux.com and whatever ...
  a default welcome message sent to a new member , i assume , would be
spanning multiple lines ... and hence would require to be put in PROP ...
instead of the room topic itself.

: Why call it #Linux why not #ILUG which has no reference to
: Chennai and it refers directly to Indians. so...

Absolutely no problems at all ... we can have #Linux , #ILUG , #prabhu also
if you want ;)

: I am concerned if you feel that the irc will definitely help linux
: users then it is good.

I have had many many linux related queries get cleared / sorted with in
#computer-talk with the linux gurus there ... of course .. a lot of the time
i get replies like ... RTFM ... which is "read the *fine* manual "... but
there *are* cases when they help etc... but the level of my linux questions
being bad ... its understandable ... I have also noticed that hardcore
serious questions ...like about an error encountered during networking a
linux box etc gets thoroughly discussed through and through...

Another point is ... I see that many people on the linux-india list seem to
be online 24/24 ... or similar...I get replies / postings from
atul/manoj/raju/etc .. at 3 and 4 in the morning ..... checking the headers
reveals all that... so I am pretty hopeful that very many members [ target
group  is more so the passive onlooker , not an explicit linux guru .. but
still versatile with the O/S ] will NOT mind wasting a little bandwidth to
just make an entry into #linux or #ILUG ... whatever....

: But one must remember that if this #linux is
: to be useful there must be knowledgeable people on the channel all or
: most of the time and I dont know how many can be online all the time.

You touched a raw nerve here :( ... What you say is perfect ... but also
practially impossible from the background of Indian ISP's .. Net users'
'Chatting' preferences... etc... Chances are we will have maybe 10 ~ 12
chatters at peak time ... [ weekends  / 6 PM weekdays ] ... definitely not
ALL gurus etc...
that is why we would need a bot which can serve as a memo bot ... manages a
list of urls that are interesting so other chatters can see them .... in our
case however...we wouldnt need that because we have multiple mailing lists
which can cater to this service ... while on a huge network ... every room
is not mailing list supported...

Prabhu : Thanks for your interest in the server.

Vivian - Write back to logitech@xxxxxxxxxxxx if you have any comments etc ?
I'm interested in receiving more feedback because I do feel shady at times
to note that every decision i'm taking seems to be a single man decision
,... and if something backfires...I dont have you to dump the blame on ! ;)

Best Regards,
- Ravi.
The future is simply infinite possibility waiting to happen. What it waits
on is human imagination to crystallize its possibility.

~ Leland Kaiser ~