Re: SOLARIS HELP

	We have installed systems with Solari and linux (on Intel
	platforms). Solaris needs to be the one to control the boot
	partition and its partition needs to be marked active.

	What we do here is create initially boot the linux
	installation CD and partition the system to create an
	extended partition (say /dev/sda2). This would take up about
	half of an 8G disk and would occupy the lower half of the
	disk.

	We then boot the Solaris installation media and it eats up
	whats left. It creates slices within and installs its boot
	loader and stuff.

	When the solaris installation is done, we reboot the linux
	installation and continue by creating logical partitions in
	the extended partition.

	When its time to install the boot loader, ask it to install
	itself in the extended partition (/dev/sda2).

	Now to boot solaris, let the system boot as is. To boot
	linux, ask the solaris boot loader to boot from the extended
	partition.

	Adding Windows should be no problem to the setup.

	Ofcourse you could install Linux in one shot and solaris after
	that.

	One thing yshould keep in mind is that Solaris tends to see a
	fixed geometry - 255 heads/tracks, 63 sectors and xxx
	cylinders (based on your disk size). What this means is that
	the partitioning geometry Solaris sees may not be the same as
	Linux's.

	veliath
u> I am trying to have Solaris and Linux on the same machine. The
u> problem is both are UFS and follow a similar kind of blocking system
u> and write directly in to my MBR. Is there any way to pass options to
u> Solaris to boot Linux?
u>
u> I want to have only Solaris and Linux and no windows.
u>
u> Do I have a solution?
u>
u> The problem I am facing is whatever I load first fails after I load
u> the second OS.
u>
u> Sriram