Newbie : KDE Installation + Mouse Configuration + X - Help Requested.

 Hi ,
   I have a CHIP RH 6.0 Installation [ on 1.2 gigs Main Partition with 137
 Megs Swap Space ] and I have still been unable to configure my video
 settings properly , after poring thro' manuals etc...
I have a LG StudioWorks 440 Si Monitor with :
 Horizonatal Frequency - 30~48 kHz ; Vertical Frequency - 50~90 Hz with
 Display Area 260 X 190 mm ; Video Bandwidth 65 MHz ; Resolution 1024 X 768
 Non Interlace , 60 Hz Refresh Rate .
   I have an Eagle Trident T 4750 VGA Video Card which is High Performance
 3D/2D GUI/Video Accelarator PCI/AGP . It claims that it supports
 1600X1200X64k Hi-Colours mode using 4 MB of EDO DRAM or SGRAM [ Whats SG
? ]
 .. It also supports 1024X768X64k Hi-Colours mode using 2 MB of Video
Memory.
 [ I have 32 MB SD RAM , 4 MB of Video RAM . ] Also , a 3-Button Logitech
 Serial Mouse , .... Model Number M-M35 [ I think ] ... It's the standard
 Logitech mouse that everyone [ by default ] has .
   KDE refuses to execute with error messages to the tune of ... kpanel -
 cannot connect to KDE server or so... while I tried modifying my settings
 with xconf , xconfigurator and the rest of it... after a couple of attempts
 and finally the pcqupdt script given with RH 5.2 in Mar '99 ... and some
 more modifications etc lets me do a startx at the prompt and gives me the
 gnome desktop . The mouse is EXTREMELY sluggish and slow...with movement
 lags like around 45 seconds... and the screen colours / resolution is
 pathetic to say the least.
   My Questions/Problems are unanswered after referring to www.xfree86.org /
 www.X.org and the like...also man X was not exactly the most helpful of
 things... or I'm exceptionally dumb...the latter being more likely ;O) ...
   Could someone give me any tips/pointers/help to set up my GNOME/KDE
 Desktop? Also , one more thing ... How do I get a LOG of what the error
 messages are when I do a startx or a kde at the prompt ? I tried a
 re-direction like this :
     root@localhost~# > startx < & XLOGfile
   It wouldnt work and hence I could just remember the error no 111 or
 whatever and not the real server error messages .
   One last question - What do I set for domainname , hostname ? Minicom -
 Refuses to recognise my modem though I remember my RH 5.2 off PCQ Mar '99
 could detect and I could connect on shell . PPP Dialing configuration
 tips/guides would be appreciated too. [ I have Pulse/Tone dialing ]
   Apologies for a lengthy letter and Thanks in advance.
  . Ravi.

PS : Apologies if you have received this email twice.