new user in chennai

hi,

Abhimanyu writes:
 >    This is abhi. I have joined school in 10 + 1 here recently and am a Linux
 > hobbyist... a newbie though... I use Redhat 5.2 , KDE , Staroffice ,
 > Netscape and stuff..... I am interested in trying out a new distrib. Caldera
 > or Debian .... which one should I choose ???

	Welcome to ilugc.  The answer to your question depends on how
comfortable you are with linux.  If you are new to it,
RH/SUSE/Mandrake should be fine.  I have never used S.u.S.e or
Mandrake but have heard that SuSe is supposed to be very easy and has
a lot of packages as well.  If you are more experienced you should
definitely try Debian.  By more experienced I mean you shouldnt be
afraid to look around and get information on another machine, know
where to find information for yourself, know some information about
your hardware, know how to find info on hardware, etc. etc.  This
obviously requires some experience.  However if you know someone who
is willing to spend some time and install Debian for you by all means
do so.  Debian is at first daunting but once it is up it is pretty
much rock solid.  It doesnt do auto detection of hardware (yet) and
has so many packages that newbies can be psyched.  Besides there are
(at least there were) a lot more RedHat users in India (and on
linux-india) so you can get help when you are desperate.  Having said
that the number of Debian users is definitely on the rise.

	If you are not daunted and are game on trying Debian please
read the excellent installation guide that is on the Debian CD before
doing anything.  Read all the README's on the CD and read the stuff on
the install directory.

 >   I have to set up a LAN ..... with ISDN connectiong and distributing to 2-3
 > ppl over the LAN using Windows.. help me

	cd /usr/doc/HOWTO  and read all the necessary docs.

Emotions are alien to me.  I'm a scientist.
		-- Spock, "This Side of Paradise", stardate 3417.3