Re: slacware not detecting my ethernet card

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, M K Saravanan wrote:

mksarav> hi,
mksarav>
mksarav>   I have installed slackware 3.2 (that came with a text book on
mksarav> linux). It is wrongly detecting my ethernet card as NE1000,
mksarav> eventhough I have mentioned the irq and i/o address correctly in
mksarav> rc.modules file. I am having a compex PCI ethernet card which
mksarav> compatible with ne2000.
mksarav>

The ne2000 driver in the old slackware doesnt detect the ne2000 clones
(like yoyr RL2000 ? ) card properly. There was some bugfix to be done in
a couple of files (i think pci.c or so). After that if u recomplie the
kernel it works.

In case u need it, I'll try to serch for these and let u know.
In fact we have reinstalled all our servers from slack to RHL and do not
have any slack system now.

The above probelm is beacuse the driver is old and there is no provision
for ne2kpci (pci ne2000 clones). Redhat has it in latest versions.

mksarav>   Also I am not able to configure my Xwindows.  I am having a SiS
mksarav> AGP card with 4MB ram.  I have installed 3.3.3.1 Xwindows which
mksarav> is the latest version which has inbuilt support for SiS card. The
mksarav> problem is it is clearly detecting my SiS card. But I am not able
mksarav> to set horz. freq. and various modes. Windows says that the
mksarav> monitor is using 85Hz. refresh rate at 800x600 resolution.  Can
mksarav> any one suggest some solution.
mksarav>

Although the X docs say that SiS works, it doesn't.
get another card.
This problem is faced by several people around thw world, not just you.

Regards,                                              Imagine Technologies
Oommen                                           16, Shaffee Mohammed Road
   				      	       	              Rutland Gate
eMail: oommen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx			   Chennai 600 006
       oommen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 					     INDIA
	   				   Voice: 91-44-8293565/66,8211733
                                            Fax : 91-44-8225341
   __   _
 / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  . . .  t h e   c h o i c e   o f   a