Re: Need help for printer Configuration

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:

thaths> Lateral Software Technologies proclaimed:
thaths> > I have a HP 2100 M Printer. It is connected to a RH 5.2 server.
thaths> > When I try Printing from the local machine it prints fine. But
thaths> > when I print from a remote  machine it says it has queed but
thaths> > nothing is cominig out at the other end. Can any one Explain me
thaths> > How to Configure Remote Printer in the client and What should I
thaths> > do at the server side where I have the actual Printer.
thaths>
thaths> Let us say you have the printer ('Dogmatix') connected to machine Asterix.
thaths> Let us also assume that you are trying to print to Dogmatix from remote
thaths> machine Obelix.  Since you are able to print to Dogmatix from Asterix, the
thaths> printer daemon (lpd) seems to be running just fine.
thaths>
thaths> The problem seems to be the /etc/printcap entry on machine Obelix.  Read
thaths> the printcap manpage (don't trust crappy GUIs to set things up for you) for
thaths> information on how to set up an entry for remote printers.
thaths>
thaths> Alternatively, you can just use rlpr
thaths> (http://sherilyn.ne.mediaone.net/~meem/rlpr/).  This way, you only have to
thaths> worry about the /etc/printcap entry in machine 'asterix'.
thaths>
thaths> You would call it like so:
thaths>
thaths> $ rlpr --printer=Dogmatix@Asterix foo.txt
thaths>
thaths> Thaths

With the newer RH GUI's, one (especially non-techies who are not
interetsed in the inner details) need not know of all these stuff.

Setting up a remote printer is as simple as follows.

1. Execute 'printtool' from an X-terminal or from the 'Printer
Configuration' icon in 'Control-Panel'.
2. Select 'Add' option
3. Select 'Remote Unix(lpd) Queue' as the Printer type
4. In the next dialog box do the following
  a) Name 	 : lp
  b) Queue	 : /var/spool/lpd/lp
  c) Remote Host : <Name of the Print Server machine>
  d) Remote Queue: /var/spool/lpd/lp
5. Specify the 'Input Filter' as same as on the Print Server

Thats it.
Now any print command issued from the 'client' machine will use the remote
printer.

PS: The values for a), b) and d) assume the case when there is only one
printer setup. The next ones will be lp0, lp1 etc.

Regards,                                              Imagine Technologies
Oommen                                           16, Shaffee Mohammed Road
   				      	       	              Rutland Gate
eMail: oommen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx			   Chennai 600 006
       oommen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 					     INDIA
	   				   Voice: 91-44-8293565/66,8211733
                                            Fax : 91-44-8225341
   __   _
 / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  . . .  t h e   c h o i c e   o f   a