Re: error in reading frame-buffer device

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, sreangsu acharyya wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
>
> > X can very well do without frame buffer.
>
> moreover the frame buffers drivers are in the kernel space, and needs to
> be specially compiled in. ( i dont know whether the default kernels
> provided by the distros have this )

so what should be the final moral of the story

1. do RH6.2 default installation have any thing like frame buffer
2. If yes where ??

3. If not Do compiling kernel with such support will enable me to do so

what i have studied in how graphics is managed in OS for machine
independence is using a framebuffer on wich our program can write and now
its task of OS  to convert it to physical display, m i right ....?

so same should be the things with linux as well

yes it is  possible that that space is in kernel space ....

shubh