Re: Notification on file/dir change ?

is a kernel module required for this? A user space
solution could be used instead. Have u see
installwatch? stuff like monitoring open(), write(),
et al stuff can be done by overriding the relevant
functions, and LD_PRELOADING them. The real problem
comes, when you have too many fds to monitor, and the
overhead is just not justified.

I had posted a similiar question on this list when i
was writing my messaging server. the kernel code for
select() and poll() (poll calls the inbuilt select
anywayz...), does unnecessary checking of _all_ fds. i
thought poll avoided this, but kqueues seem to have a
better approach to this. I hope this is incorporated
into Linux too.

Efsd (of enlightenment DR17 fame), claims to have a
new system for detecting file state changes. I haven't
seen the code yet. Its been ages since I've CVS
updated E. whatever it is, it better be good. :)

Nikhil.

--- sreangsu acharyya

http://www.openmagazine.net/guestcolumn/01/01/24/239215.shtml