Xproto.h

Hi!
This is a question about the X protocol. In the header file
/usr/include/X11/Xproto.h
what does the member "u.u.detail" of struct _xEvent (line 1000 in that file) stand for? For the KeyPress, KeyRelease, ButtonPress & ButtonRelease events, what exact detail does this member give?

I assumed it to be the KeyCode (for KeyPress) and used the function XKeycodeToKeysym to convert it to KeySym, but was not successful, perhaps because I had to give my own values for the 'index' variable.

int x, index;
KeySym sym;
sym = XKeycodeToKeysym(dpy, (KeyCode) x, index);

How can I obtain the character pressed from the member 'detail'?

Thanks in advance.
- Karthika

http://bol.rediff.com