Re: Re: IPC Question

On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 11:53:13AM +0530, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> I think I need to check this thread from going in weird direction.

???

> The solution I found was to use hundreds of unix domain stream sockets. But
> doesn't sound good. Currently I am trying to decipher what stevens has wrote

Oops ... never done ch14 Stevens. Was about to say so many sockets
might be too heavy before I saw that he says AF_LOCAL sockets are
significantly faster than AF_INET sockets.

I suggested message queues 'coz they allow you to assign priorities to
individual messages and so I suppose you could have different threads
reading only appropriate messages off the single queue rather than the
multiple sockets that would otherwise be required.

> If that works will use pipes and pass the descriptor between threads.
> Otherwise back to sockets...

When you use named sockets (fifo), what descriptor do you need to pass?

> BTW, AFAICT, message queues does not support huge amount of data. I would

No idea about that.

--
Ultimate file compression:   'rm -rf /'    (100% compression)