X Window programming query

Hello!
I am developing a monitoring project in X Window. For a particular window whose ID I have obtained, I would like to know

1. When that window was opened (created). Can I find this by looking out for some specific event? How can I conclude that the window was opened as the result of some command (or click on an icon)?

2. How can I associate a window to the program that runs it? For example, for the caption "Media Player", the corresponding program is "kmidi". Will these details be available in some system file?

Thanks for your kind attention. Waiting for a reply,
- Karthika

http://bol.rediff.com