Re: How to identify a Unix machine....

Hi there,

The standard FTP service (if enabled) is also a good way to know the
system type...

[narain@dracula narain]$ ftp matrix
Connected to matrix.
220 matrix.in.tatainfotech.com FTP server (Version wu-2.4.2-academ
[BETA-18](1) Mon Aug 3 19:17:20 EDT 1998) ready.
Name (matrix:narain):
331 Password required for narain.
Password:
530 Login incorrect.
Login failed.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> syst
215 UNIX Type: L8
ftp>           ^^

As can be seen from the above transcript, we even don't need to have a
login on the machine to access this info. Winduz returns something
different for the same sequence of commands... I think the L8 above
signifies something special (like the OS type or something)...

On a SUN machine, I got the following...

ftp> syst
215 UNIX Type: L8 Version: SUNOS

On a SVR4 system,

ftp> syst
215 UNIX Type: L8 System V/PENTIUM Release 4.0, Version 2.

On a Unixware (SVR5) system,

ftp> syst
215 UNIX Type: L8 SCO UnixWare System V/i386 Release 5, Version 7.1.1.

But overall, a good indication of the OS...

HTH,
Narain.