Questions on cross-platform development...

Guys,

I have a whole bunch of questions on developing a product to be cross platform from ground up:

1. The product is going to have GUI portions to it. I do not want to to be developing seperate GUIs for WinDOS (NT and 9x), Linux etc. The only cross-platform toolkit I've heard of is Qt. A developer license for Enterprise edition of Qt is not too expensive. Are there other cross platform tooklits (preferably one that provides C bindings) that are licensed under a BSD-style license? Are there commercial ones available?

2. Makefiles. Is there a cross platform make? I don't mind using CygWin make as long as it can interact with the M$ compiler.

3. Is it possible to write cross platform code without every using #ifdef PLATFORMs?

Thaths