Re: Implementation of Data Link Layer protocols

I don't know if ppp.c or slip.c really constitute the Data Link Layer in
a protocol stack. My idea is they do not.

Well, by definition Data Link Layer's job is provide an error-free link
layer. By implication this means, DLL should take care of out of sequence
delivery of frames by the physical layer, or erroneous delivery of the
frames by the physical layer. More often than not, DLL is implemented
in the hardware. Network cards generally have their own processor
and memory as well as framing logic including error detection, correction.

Yeah, DLL can be written using C and compiled for a particular processor
architecture- depends on which one is used.

My cents worth :-)

Satheesh