Re: Working of Syslogd

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 12:36:03PM +0530, Mandar Behere wrote:
> Hi,
>     I will like to know few things about Syslog. The main issues I am
> looking at are
> 1. Is it threadsafe ?

syslogd AFAIK is not multithreaded. Therefore the issue of thread safety
doesn't arise.

As far as syslog(3) is concerned, it works over sockets and therefore
should be safe to use from a multithreaded program. Read the sources
for a definitive answer.

> 2. What is commonly followed strategy for backing up the syslog files
> specially for embedded Linux systems?

With most distributions, there is a log rotation facility, run as a
cron job. Perhaps you can enhance the cron job to back up.

> 3. Is there any tool available to which will parse the log files and
> give me the information in an arranged manner ?

Many - lookup in freshmeat.net. Also read the LIH archives - there was
some discussion about a perl script that did log coloring.

	-Arun